Questions or problems with registration? Please feel free to email our Program Manager
Ryan O’Sullivan, Ryan@heroicfood.org
Upcoming 2017 Workshops
Farm Squad 2017
(3 Day Workshop)
Friday, October 20th
Tour of Hawthorne Valley Farm/ Planting Garlic (hands-on).
Saturday, October 21st
Enhancing the vitality of the soil is not just a matter of learning a set of particular methods, just as the vitality of the soil is not only a matter of its chemical composition. Soil health is bound up with the dynamics of the whole farm organism, which includes the inner perspectives of the farmers.
During this workshop we will explore not only practical and technicals details of farm-scale biodynamic composting but we will also explore how our way of seeing, thinking and speaking contribute to creating our agricultural reality.
‘Soil sciences and composting’ with Bruno Follador, Director of Living Soils Initiative with the Nature Institute at Hawthorne Valley Farm, and Zach Wolf, farm manager of The Locusts on Hudson.
Learn more about Bruno and Zach ‘s great work here: http://natureinstitute.org/about/staff/bfollador.htm
Sunday, October 22nd
Greenhouses and High Tunnels with Common Hands Farm, Hudson NY.
Cost: Workshop is free to veterans and their partners, BUT there is a refundable $25/person, $50/couple reservation deposit to hold your place if you need lodging. Deposit will be fully refunded upon the day of the workshop, or if canceled before October 18th.
Be prepared to get dirty. Check the weather forecast and bring appropriate clothing. Wear work shoes or boots, and bring a pair of slippers so you can change footwear indoors. Bring work gloves if you have them. Farm work involves bending, squatting, lifting and carrying. If you have known significant health issues, physical restrictions, or dietary restrictions, you must let us know in advance.
Please note: No one will be turned away for financial reasons, please message the Program Manager if you would like to receive a fee waiver.
Participants must be 18 or older, farms are not wheelchair accessible (Sincerest apologies).
Space is limited. REGISTER NOW
For a copy of our itinerary, email our program manager.
Upcoming Workshops & Events
Oct 20-22: Farm Squad, Hawthorne Valley Farms, NY
- Farming Outside the Box, Part 1, City of Poughkeepsie, NY
- Farming Outside the Box, Part 2, Staatsburg & Poughkeepsie, NY
- Permaculture and Fruit-Tree Pruning, Hudson NY
- Beekeeping Weekend Workshop Introduction to bees and beekeeping.
- Seeding and Irrigation in the Greenhouse Learn to build a low-cost DIY mobile irrigation system adaptable for field crops, orchard or greenhouse.
- Are You Ready to Farm?An overview of planning your farm.
- Are You Ready to Weld?An introduction to torch burning safety and electric arc welding.
- Greenhouse Weekend WorkshopAn introduction to greenhouse siting and building.
- Soil Health and Compost Weekend WorkshopAn introduction to soil and seeding on the farm.
Check out the Galleries of Photos!